Sunday, October 8, 2017

ARC Review: Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One by Jessica Hernandez

SummaryFifty-three families looking for a new beginning board a ship and sail to an uninhabited island. Happily they live for well over two decades. Homes are built and the past is forgotten. Paradise, however, is no more after the adults suddenly vanish one night. For three years, the teens and children rule the island of Oridd. For three years, they survive. When an old woman unexpectedly appears on Oridd, all is cast into disarray as the strange and awful threaten to become commonplace. The old woman wants something, and she won’t leave until she gets it.


Pages: 333

Release Date: Saturday, October 7th

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars


Review
 
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One from its author, Jessica Hernandez. While I have read a few random classics for my Advanced Placement Literature and Composition class, I have not read many books for pleasure this last month. I was glad to add some variety and read Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One. It was a refreshing read that I greatly appreciated. Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One was a thrilling, suspenseful, and compelling novel that should be on everyone's to-be-read list. 

I never knew where the plot of Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One was going, every two steps I thought I was ahead was actually five steps in the wrong direction. It was truly a thrilling and suspenseful ride that kept me guessing at every turn. It is the perfect read for the fall and Halloween season. The ending left me with a dozen more questions. I never saw the end coming and I am still coming to terms with it. It was a risky move that proved worthwhile. I am impressed by Jessica Hernandez. I am hooked on this story-line and cannot wait to explore more of the story. I presume there will be a sequel to Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One, otherwise that would be cruel. After its ending, the reader needs more.

The main complaint and praise I had with Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One was the writing. While it typically flowed smoothly, a few segments of the writing left me rereading specific sections. The rough patches were descriptions that might have been edited out in the final copy, but it was something I wanted to mention. Although the world was one I had never heard of or explored before, Jessica was able to seamlessly transition me into the world within the first page. I was only caught up on a few descriptions that were focused on the movement and activities of the characters, not the world. Some descriptions were confusing and took away from the story; overall, the story flowed very smoothly and I enjoyed the writing style.

I enjoyed the world of Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One. It was an interesting concept that Jessica executed well. I hope to be able to explore the world further in its possible sequel(s). The end uncovered more of the world the novel had yet to mention. I am interested to see what Jessica has planned for the continuation of the story. Like I have mentioned numerous times, I am excited for more from this world.

The characters were also enjoyable, but they lacked luster at times. While they were not necessarily characters I will forever remember, their journey and obstacles were compelling and it brought the story to life. I will admit that I was overwhelmed at times by the amount of characters introduced within the span of one page. Many were not crucial to the story, overshadowing the description of characters that would prove valuable to the story. Cayleth was a decent character, but I absolutely loved her relationship with her sister, Lorelle.  At times, the characters lacked something that made them three-dimensional; however, the  relationship between Cayleth and Lorelle always made them jump off the page. Cayleth by herself or with Poins frequently left the story lacking, but Cayleth's relationship with Lorelle brought much needed dimension to the story.

Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One was a suspenseful read that I highly recommend ordering. It had a compelling plot and world that left me wanting more. I am excited to read Jessica Hernandez's other titles. She has caught my eye. Let me know in the comments below if you have read Cayleth Warding and the Scarlet One or another novel by Jessica Hernandez. If you have read one of her titles, please let me know what you thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment