Friday, May 19, 2017

ARC Review: The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich

SummaryThere is a secret organization that cultivates teenage spies. The agents are called Love Interests because getting close to people destined for great power means getting valuable secrets.

Caden is a Nice: The boy next door, sculpted to physical perfection. Dylan is a Bad: The brooding, dark-souled guy, and dangerously handsome. The girl they are competing for is important to the organization, and each boy will pursue her. Will she choose a Nice or the Bad?

Both Caden and Dylan are living in the outside world for the first time. They are well-trained and at the top of their games. They have to be – whoever the girl doesn’t choose will die.

What the boys don’t expect are feelings that are outside of their training. Feelings that could kill them both.
 (Via Goodreads.com)



Pages: 373

Publisher
: Feiwel & Friends 

Expected Release Date: May 16th, 2017

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Review:
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of The Love Interest through an ARC swap on Twitter. While I had read few reviews about the novel, individuals I follow on Twitter were captivated by the book and so was I. The Love Interest follows a teenage boy, Caden, who is a Love Interest. The mission of a Love Interest is to make an important individual fall in love with them so they can gather important information for their secret spy organization who sells the secrets to the highest bidder. However, the plan goes awry when Caden falls for the Love Interest he is competing against to win the heart of their Chosen.

The Love Interest is an utterly unique debut from Cale Dietrich. The novel puts an interesting spin on the classic love-triangle trope and develops a unique and compelling plot. The characters and the secret spy organization were well developed and intriguing; however, the ending of the novel was it's major flaw. While the ending was extremely cliche, I could overlook it. However, the ending was hurried and sloppily done. The pacing of the end was extremely fast and, although I constantly reread sections, I was still confused as to what had happened. It was disappointing being addicted and in love with a novel that's ending was hurried and barely finished. I did read an advanced copy so the ending could have been slowed down; however, the version I read was very fast and rather confusing. 

The Love Interest made me question myself. It prompted me to begin thinking about my value of self-preservation in comparison to my value of others. The novel raises questions pertaining to selflessness, love, and the value of others. 

The Love Interest was not only an intriguing and addicting read, it was also an important read. Unfortunately, I cannot divulge much more without spoiling the novel; however, my lack of words is because I simply do not have enough words to describe my love for this book. The Love Interest was thrilling, romantic, and addicting. I cannot wait to see what else Cale publishes. If The Love Interest is an indicator, he has the potential to become one of my absolute favorite authors. I highly recommend getting a copy of The Love Interest and I also recommend putting Cale Dietrich on your radar.



No comments:

Post a Comment